Have to restrict a person from accessing or opening an application? Here is a simple method to block users from opening restricted software.
Recently, one of my buddies is in a situation where he must lockout a course so that other users, like his nephew, cannot open it up. These kinds of restrictions are occasionally important if you are sharing the same user account with multiple people. Now, as possible guess, locking programs and blocking users from accessing certain programs is pretty helpful sometimes.
So, if you’re ever in this situation, stick to the below steps to bar users from opening certain software or programs in Windows 10.
Windows AppLock Feature
In case you have no idea, Windows has a built-in feature called AppLocker to lock applications, software, and programs with a set of rules. Using those rules, you can either outright block a user from ever opening it or place meaningful restrictions. Just like the AppLocker feature is, it is only available in the Enterprise and Education versions. As a result, we need to find a different way to get things done.
Thankfully, Windows has an application for everything. Simply put, we are going to make use of a free, lightweight, and portable software called AskAdmin to block users from accessing certain programs. Just stick to the steps out of the box and you’ll be completed in virtually no time.
Steps to Block Certains Programs for Users in Windows
1. Like I said before, we are going to use the AskAdmin tool to create things work. So, download the software, open the ZIP file and extract its contents to desktop or some other drive.
2. After extracting, open the “AskAdmin” folder and execute the EXE file depending on the body architecture. With my case, I’m opening the “AskAdmin_x64.exe” file.
3. The application’s interface is fairly simple to follow. To add an application towards the block list, click on the “Add (+)” icon.
4. Within the browse window, find the application you want to block, select it, and then click the “Open” button.
5. As soon as you do this, the target application will be put into the block list in the AskAdmin’s main UI.
6. You may see a prompt asking to restart explorer. Click “Yes”. If you don’t begin to see the said prompt, go to the “Options” tab and choose the “Restart Windows Explorer” option. Restarting the explorer applies the security changes.
That’s it. Now you can close the applying. From now on, anyone who tries to open the blocked application might find error messages like below.
Remove Applications from Block List
When you wish to access the blocked application, uncheck the checkbox near the list item and restart explorer as shown in step six.
If you wish to completely remove an application from the block list, right-click on the list item and choose “Delete”.
As you can see, it’s pretty easy to block users from accessing or opening an application in Windows. Do keep in mind, if a user can find the AskAdmin application they are able to take away the restriction and open the prospective application anyway.
To avoid that, you are able to password protect the AskAdmin application. However, for your feature, you need to purchase the Pro version. The Pro version also provides you with the ability to target specific users rather than all users. However for most scenarios, the disposable version is sufficient enough.